Hormonal Pigmentation and Melasma
Also called “The Mask Of Pregnancy”, Melasma or Hormonal Pigmentation frequently effects non-pregnant women. Males with a genetic predisposition can also suffer from this condition. At Skin Nerd, we routinely see patients with this skin disorder.
Factors that may trigger Melasma include:
- Sun exposure: Ultraviolet light stimulates pigment-producing cells (melanocytes) in the skin. Even a few minutes of direct sun exposure can trigger Melasma or make Melasma return after treatment.
- People with darker skin types have more melanocytes and therefore are more susceptible to developing Melasma.
- Fluctuation in Hormones also seems to have a clinical correlation with melasma.
In summary, anything that irritates the skin can potentially trigger or worsen Melasma.
At Skin Nerd in Geelong, we treat Melasma (Hormonal Pigmentation) using a combination-treatment approach. This means using several treatment options together to maximise the clinical efficacy of our pigmentation management plan.
Treatment options include:
- Prescribing Medical Strength Skin Whitening Agents (Topical Creams)
- Series of low-intensity ND:YAG laser treatments
- Medical strength peels such as de-pigmenting peeling system and TCA peel.
- Skin Needling
Careful patient selection is the key when advising any skin treatment. Hormonal pigmentation should be treated my skin therapists working under direct medical supervision.
To discuss your treatment options and book an obligation free appointment, please contact us today.